What's going on in your shop?

Thanks everyone, I feel very blessed to have the new house and shop. A cabinet maker ran his business out of it for 30 years. So it has all the bells and whistles already built in.

OH WOW Ty!!

If my suspicion is correct.....there's a bathroom there too? That's awesome! I wish I'd had the forethought to put a bathroom in either of my shops....it would have saved me hearing "Go directly to the shower!" from my Mrs., every time I walk in from the shops! :) (even if I could only wash my face and hands before goin in the house!)
Thanks Ed. It is a room with a toilet in it. I'm going to take out some of the shelving to add a sink with an on demand water heater. It probably won't be much work to add a shower as well.

I've got a couple folders going at different stages

o1LzkbLl.jpg

Took some time yesterday to build a much needed rack for the angle grinding area outside the back of the hot shop. Nothing special, just one of those...."needed" things. That greasy spot to the right is where I piped the exhaust for the air hammer outside..... makes it much quieter inside the shop. (doesn't seem to matter how often I clean up that oily stuff.....it's right back there the next time I look) :)

IMG_2912.jpg

Also got things ready to forge today..... the smaller billets are radial and explosion pattern that will be forged round for "plug welding" into other blades, and the large billets are another experiment :) That "experiment"? I've got this idea for a "can" billet with various shaped/patterned pieces within the billet(s). I think Tim and I will do a video on building that particular "can".

Last edited:
Took some time yesterday to build a much need rack for the angle grinding area outside the back of the hot shop. Nothing special, just one of those...."needed" things. That greasy spot to the right is where I piped the exhaust for the air hammer outside..... makes it much quieter inside the shop. (doesn't seem to matter how often I clean up that oily stuff.....it's right back there the next time I look) :)

IMG_2912.jpg

Also got things ready to forge today..... the smaller billets are radial and explosion pattern that will be forged round for "plug welding" into other blades, and the large billets are another experiment :) That "experiment"? I've got this idea for a "can" billet with various shaped/patterned pieces within the billet(s). I think Tim and I will do a video on building that particular "can".

Man I have to get down there and make some steel.

Attempting my first hamons... I have two big Bowies on the bench and I've been wanting to attempt hamons for the longest time. Did all the heat treat last night and today I did the finish grinding. I have one side of the first blade hand sanded and... dare I jinx it... I think I have success! I have to hand sand the other side tomorrow and then I etch the blade and see what I've got. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve!

I've been working on these kitchen knives the last couple weeks. I finally got the last ones sanded tonight. They are .072 15N20 with plungeless grinds. The big thin ones were a challenge but they came out nice. Now to decide on handle choices.

Attempting my first hamons... I have two big Bowies on the bench and I've been wanting to attempt hamons for the longest time. Did all the heat treat last night and today I did the finish grinding. I have one side of the first blade hand sanded and... dare I jinx it... I think I have success! I have to hand sand the other side tomorrow and then I etch the blade and see what I've got. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve!
Cool! Ummmmmm...I think yer not allowed to post stuff like this without WIP pics...lol!

This WIP would have 745 edits! Right now I am in the "failing my way to success" stage. When it becomes something I can repeat I'll be more than happy to do a "Dummies Guide to Hamons.. Episode 1- Avoiding Painful Mistakes"

When a real knifemaker makes a knife, he/she starts out with a design, then sits down and starts working towards it.

I start out with a design, then I sit down and start eliminating ways that don't work.

Back