What's going on in your shop?

Getting ready to learn to heat treat 80CrV2. I have parks aaa quenchant on the way at $100.00+/gallon by the time it's landed here. I'm going to try medium oil first. I see some quenching in parks 50 but don't know enough to tell what I'm looking for for results between the two quenchants.

Here's my line up. 006.JPG006.JPGI'm planning to austenize the four square peices at 1475 to 1550 going up by 25 degrees at a time with short soaks.
Then I'll harden the four skinners at the temp that showed the best grain.
Those will be tempered differently. Then final ground, sharpened and tested out.
Then I'll move on to the larger knives with the best results from the skinners.

Only thing I'm worried about is that I won't have accurate results because there three variations of sizes. Otherwise I'm good to go here pretty soon.

I was planning on edge quench but found a post yesterday by Mr. Doyle that he stopped differential hardening this steel. John if you read this is this still what you're doing? The last knife on the bottom right will definitely be a full quench in light of John's post. But I'll probably go back and bring all the spines and tangs all up to 220 for a full quench. (And drill holes).

Sound good? Sorry for the double picture, wife is calling and can't figure out how to delete it.

Getting ready to learn to heat treat 80CrV2. I have parks aaa quenchant on the way at $100.00+/gallon by the time it's landed here. I'm going to try medium oil first. I see some quenching in parks 50 but don't know enough to tell what I'm looking for for results between the two quenchants.

Here's my line up. View attachment 66394View attachment 66394I'm planning to austenize the four square peices at 1475 to 1550 going up by 25 degrees at a time with short soaks.
Then I'll harden the four skinners at the temp that showed the best grain.
Those will be tempered differently. Then final ground, sharpened and tested out.
Then I'll move on to the larger knives with the best results from the skinners.

Only thing I'm worried about is that I won't have accurate results because there three variations of sizes. Otherwise I'm good to go here pretty soon.

I was planning on edge quench but found a post yesterday by Mr. Doyle that he stopped differential hardening this steel. John if you read this is this still what you're doing? The last knife on the bottom right will definitely be a full quench in light of John's post. But I'll probably go back and bring all the spines and tangs all up to 220 for a full quench. (And drill holes).

Sound good? Sorry for the double picture, wife is calling and can't figure out how to delete it.

I quit edge quenching anything these days.

I stopped trying to differentially harden 80CrV2 steel because there are alloying elements added to it that make it a deeper hardening steel. Differentially hardening it is fighting against exactly what those elements were added for. Kinda like peeing into the wind.

I'm sitting here trying to teach myself leather carving out of a 35 year old Tandy book. Supposed to be a flower, mine doesn't a look a whole lot like the book's. Just got some stamps and a swivel knife today, first try.

Flower, I thought that was alligator on top a …………… Sorry Anthony just poking fun. That stuff is work, my artistic side in leather always looks like something else. I finished one and showed it too the wife one night. She looked at it and says, "what is it". Well if you have to ask, I failed!!! :p

So I don't do much in the artistic side of leather making!! :rolleyes::D

Hey guys, there is a thread like this on another forum and I know some of you know what I'm talking about. I just thought I would try to get one started here in KD.
Just post up anything you might be working on. Hopefully we can keep it going.
I'm just excited to be back working on knives after about a 3 month break, after the new baby and some other stuff I just put the hobby on the back burner.

Got to do a little grinding today and it felt great, took a minute to get back into the swing of things.

I also have a edge scribe I'm building that I will share once I get it done.

So post up!

Justin
Howdy.

the those 2 blades freehand grind or jig???????????? lovey clear lines, they are my dream to attain.

Back