Anyone else having problems with Norton Blaze...

I bought sixty 50 grit Blaze belts from Tracy maybe 6 months ago and have not had this problem however 3 years ago I had bought a batch of 50 grit Blaze belts from Trugrit and several of the belts were breaking for no apparent reason. I'm thinking I may have had them to tight. I have not had the problem with the ones from Tracy.

I bought sixty 50 grit Blaze belts from Tracy maybe 6 months ago and have not had this problem however 3 years ago I had bought a batch of 50 grit Blaze belts from Trugrit and several of the belts were breaking for no apparent reason. I'm thinking I may have had them to tight. I have not had the problem with the ones from Tracy.

Thanks Raymond for chiming in here.

I have never broken a Blaze belt? But there does seem to be a bit of a difference in the runs of Blaze Plus belts. Some with the crud coming off and some no problems.

UPS didn't show yesterday so I guess it will be Monday.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I really like the Norton Blaze belts. 40, 60 and 120 grits get used on a regular basis. Week in and week out.

My tolerance level for having a dark deposit on the glass of my platen is a litter higher than some. It's not seen as a detriment.

I'd do a commercial for Norton Blaze belts in a heartbeat. Awesome product.

As long as they continue to perform as they have in the past, I'll continue to purchase Blaze belts.

BC

I really like the Norton Blaze belts. 40, 60 and 120 grits get used on a regular basis. Week in and week out.

My tolerance level for having a dark deposit on the glass of my platen is a litter higher than some. It's not seen as a detriment.

I'd do a commercial for Norton Blaze belts in a heartbeat. Awesome product.

As long as they continue to perform as they have in the past, I'll continue to purchase Blaze belts.

BC

I agree that they are awesome Belt, It's just that they are even more Awesome without the black crud deposits!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Been using norton blaze for 3 years. Love em. I do get a black build up when I do my heavy grinding. I just clean it off before I finish grind.

For my last order of belts, I purchased a dozen of the belts I mentioned previously.... the Deerfos/SP999 in 50 grit. I like them, and although they might not last quite as long as the Blaze, considering they are 1/2 the cost, I'm fairly impressed. I haven't sworn off the Blaze belts, but think I will wait until you folks pass along word before going with them again......it was very nice to not have to stop 1/2 way through every blade and waste 10 mins+ scraping and cleaning the platen.
I've really liked the Blaze for a while, but I almost think that Norton, in their efforts to improve/justify $10 per belt, might have shot themselves in the foot. In this case, I think the best policy would have been "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".......rather than "if it ain't broke....fix it til it is".

Hopefully they will delete that "lubed" backing, and maybe drop the price a bit.....that might be enough to possibly draw me back.

Not sure how I missed this thread and it has been driving me nuts wondering were this black crude has been coming from, not only is it on my platen but it is all over my contact wheels and my aluminum tracking wheel.

Any of you have it on your contact wheels? If so how are you cleaning it off?

Thanks in advance.

Mike,
I have used the Household strength "Goof Off" Paint remover. To clean up the Platen and wheels.
Any Hardware or painting Dept.
There are two strengths, "PRO", That will melt paint & some plastics.
Then "Household" which is what you want.
Happy Cleaning!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Thanks Laurence I have some of that just did not want to use anything on the rubber wheels that may harm the rubber.

Thanks Laurence I have some of that just did not want to use anything on the rubber wheels that may harm the rubber.

Just make sure it's the Household strength. Yes! That Black crud had me yelling & cursing!
Messing up my flats with chatter marks.
I even replaced my 2" & 5" wheels on my hardcore grinder thinking that they were over 12 years old and may be breaking down from all the hard use.
Nope! It's was from those Blaze Plus grinding belts I loved so much.

I am hoping hear something from the Norton Rep soon?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Last edited:
I am still waiting to hear from the Folks at Norton?
I know they are big but they have had the Belts I sent back for about 2 weeks now!
The search for other Ceramic belts continues.
Those Deerfos are good! I have some 3M cubertron I & II's inbound so I know about how well they cut in a few days. I have a stack of about 30 blades I need to get ready for HT.
I hope they work well!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I've discovered the NorZon Plus belts. They're cheaper and I think that they stay sharp longer than the Blaze belts. I got them in 60 grit from Tracy. I kind of wish that I had gotten them in 36 grit but they're not much slower than the Blaze in 40.

Doug

I've discovered the NorZon Plus belts. They're cheaper and I think that they stay sharp longer than the Blaze belts. I got them in 60 grit from Tracy. I kind of wish that I had gotten them in 36 grit but they're not much slower than the Blaze in 40.

Doug

Thanks Doug,
If you mean the red Ceramic, I have those, They were my first replacement for the blaze a few weeks ago. There are alright, but I am still searching!
For Me, those Blaze out cut anything even in price since they last so long that I have tried to date.

I even talked with one of the Ladies at K&G supply and she assured me that their Blaze plus have no such problem.
So I bought 5 of the 100 grit and they put out just as much black crud as any of the other Blaze Plus I have been able to get in the last 6 months or so!
It's that darn crud on the platen that ruins it for me!

The search continues!
Thanks everyone.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks Laurence,

Yep I have the household stuff, those squirrel, chatter marks are driving me nuts. I can not wait to finish up using the belts I have so I can do a final clean up. Did you let K&G know their belts did the same with the crude?

This is going to be hard to change belts as Blaze out cut anything I could find before they came out, if you find a decent replacement let us know.

Thanks Laurence,

Yep I have the household stuff, those squirrel, chatter marks are driving me nuts. I can not wait to finish up using the belts I have so I can do a final clean up. Did you let K&G know their belts did the same with the crude?

This is going to be hard to change belts as Blaze out cut anything I could find before they came out, if you find a decent replacement let us know.

I am going to call the folks at K & G supply this week, I hate being the bearer of bad news!:sad:

Most knife supply houses have some kind of pre-ground blades that they have ground in house for the Finish & handle Hobbist.
You would think that they would sample the belts they sell to know the quality of what they are selling?
Perhaps they can't pin it down and they don't see the problem coming from the Blaze P Belts?

The more fuss they hear at St Gobain/Norton the better!
Anyone else having black CRUD build-up problems with the Orange Blaze Plus grinding belts?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

www.westsidesharpening.com

Last edited:
Back