Matchlock Axe/Pistol

Bruce it's amazing following your lines of thought/design. Most of this would never have occurred to me -- or at least I don't think so. Super glue is wonderful stuff, ain't it? I use it all the time now, following one of your earlier uses of it, holding scales in place for drilling. I love super glue, and I think you're an amazing designer. Keep it going man, I'm "glued" to the tube! :)

Yes, I'm watching this every day even if I don't have time to comment. It's incredible
seeing what you've planned and what you haven't until the last minute. Just great
creativity as well as craftsmanship.

Bruce,
What camera are you using?
second, I have an idea of how much time it takes to process and post all those pictures. Thank you for doing that. It's amazing to watch something like this unfold and the pictures you are taking document it very well.

Hi Boss. Thanks for the unlimited space of my own here. There are over 300 pictures on this WIP so far. I wore out a Kodak and we bought a Canon about a year ago. Its a Canon Power Shot SX150 14.1 megapixels. For most all these shots I just leave it on "auto" and shoot away. It usually always goes to "macro" automatically and almost never needs a flash. It seems to collect light from somewhere because the flash never goes on. Our old kodak flashed every shot with the most annoying bright spots right where ya dont want them.
Bruce,
What camera are you using?
second, I have an idea of how much time it takes to process and post all those pictures. Thank you for doing that. It's amazing to watch something like this unfold and the pictures you are taking document it very well.

I've been saving a piece of mosaic damascus I made for a bowie but turned out too small for it. There are no shots of the pattern process and I apologize although it would be repetitious and possibly even boring to you veteran damascus makers. Its basically a high layer "W" pattern that has some thicker layers of 1080 tossed in the mix and the bar squeezed into a triangle shape. I took the triangle bar and cut it into 8 pieces and put them back together for the mosaic you will see very soon. The triangles were welded in a canister with my usual stainless foil liner so they wouldnt weld to the can. After the weld the can was cut off and the mosaic bar was drawn out, tiled with a 30 degree angle and flipped. This all makes sense if you have done it before but otherwise you may not understand. If you push me hard enough I will link you to the process as I think its in one of my other WIP's.

Anyway here is the stretched out mosaic I chose for the axe blade. I think its a very nice piece of damascus and super fine pattern as to not clash with the twist barrel pattern. Too many different patterns going on remind me of wearing a plaid shirt with stripped pants, know what I mean? Too much "Bling"

axebit001.jpg

axebit002-1.jpg

axebit003.jpg

axebit004-1.jpg

axebit005.jpg

axebit006-1.jpg

axebit007-1.jpg

axebit009-1.jpg

axebit010-1.jpg

Last edited:
Some more work on the axe blade too. Its now in the tempering oven at 425f.

moreaxebit002.jpg

moreaxebit004.jpg

moreaxebit006.jpg

moreaxebit007.jpg

moreaxebit009.jpg

moreaxebit011.jpg

moreaxebit012.jpg

moreaxebit013.jpg

moreaxebit015.jpg

moreaxebit018.jpg

moreaxebit019.jpg

Last edited:
Is it me? Or did I really read Bruce Bump use the unheard words, ''Too Much Bling''? Really!?!?!?
It seems, a Bump creation without going all the way over the top just wouldn't be right!!!
I still sit here AMAZED!! Awesome work!!!
Rex

All the compliments and discussion is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Spent all day on the trigger guard but its taking shape finally. I used the belt grinder, hack saw and a half dozen hand files to get the shape and a scotch bright wheel for the finish. Of coarse it will need more work later when I make the final wood stock/handle and if I can get the engraver to touch it up with his magic it should look great. All the steel parts of this gun will get similar treatment. I'm almost afraid to tackle the dragon so it may be about the last thing to work on.

bitandtriggerguard001.jpg

bitandtriggerguard002.jpg

bitandtriggerguard003.jpg

bitandtriggerguard004.jpg

bitandtriggerguard005.jpg

bitandtriggerguard007.jpg

bitandtriggerguard008.jpg

bitandtriggerguard009.jpg

bitandtriggerguard010.jpg

bitandtriggerguard011.jpg

bitandtriggerguard012.jpg

Is it me? Or did I really read Bruce Bump use the unheard words, ''Too Much Bling''? Really!?!?!?
It seems, a Bump creation without going all the way over the top just wouldn't be right!!!
I still sit here AMAZED!! Awesome work!!!
Rex
Rex, Yep I said "too much bling" I wear blue jeans and a T shirt :)

Last edited:
Bruce I love it when I learn so much from watching your processes. I would never have thought of using Dykem inside the guard to help me keep the radius symmetrical, but it makes perfect sense to me. You're a genius in more ways than I can count. That guard is looking great!

Today I etched the axe bit. I cant remember me making this pattern after looking at it. Man its fine, so fine its hard to etch. With this many layers it is difficult for the etchant to remove allot of the 1084 steel and show a high contrast but........I like it.

I also "keyed" the axe to the barrel. By "keyed" I mean now the axe head wont spin on the barrel. It has a 3/16" steel pin inserted into the axe adaptor and has a slot cut into the barrel for it to nest in. I also went to Lons house and used his lathe to thread the end of the barrel for the nut that holds the axe head secure. Now I just need to cut the nut to length and be sure the hole will allow a .50 caliber ball through it otherwise it could be a heck of an exciting first shot.

axebitlocatingdowell001.jpg

axebitlocatingdowell004.jpg

axebitlocatingdowell003.jpg

axebitlocatingdowell006.jpg

axebitlocatingdowell005.jpg

axebitlocatingdowell007.jpg

axebitlocatingdowell008.jpg

Back