Matchlock Axe/Pistol

I suspected this could be the case. This handle is serving its purpose though, I can continue the build and not fret about tight inlays and modify the parts as needed. I might even step up a notch for my first choice of wood African Blackwood.
Oh, man….. That sucks, right there.

Last edited:
Brue, I really hate the way you make this look so dang easy. My hat is off to you. You are truly an amazing Master Smith and Craftsman. I love following your WIPs.

I only show you the good photos, not the ones that have parts flying across the shop.
Brue, I really hate the way you make this look so dang easy. My hat is off to you. You are truly an amazing Master Smith and Craftsman. I love following your WIPs.

Some progress on the trigger and trigger housing. The guard is mild steel and the trigger is O-1 tool steel. I used tool steel so I can heat treat it to prevent wearing at the pivots and there may be allot of pressure on the trigger and I cant afford any amount of bending.

triggerandguard008.jpg

triggerandguard011.jpg

triggerandguard012.jpg

triggerandguard013.jpg

triggerandguard014.jpg

triggerandguard015.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/brucebump/matchlock%20axegun/triggerandguard017.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/brucebump/matchlock%20axegun/triggerandguard019.jpg

triggerandguard020.jpg

triggerandguard021.jpg

attachment.php

Bruce,
I put this auxilliary table on my little bandsaw.
It fits right over the small head that was already there. This piece is Corian but is very stable and is easily removeable.

Just thought you'd appreciate this.
Steve

saw.JPG

A Little Box Progress

Here's a little more progress on Bruce's axe/gun case:
I cut some 1 1/2" cubes of Cherry, mounted them on the lathe, and turned some feet. Then glued in some corner blocks to receive them.
9e8ab57c.jpg

2cb49bc0.jpg

90fd6161.jpg

7105fc7c.jpg

I want to get the hinges mortised in next and then fit and shape the lid. Yesterday the hinges I ordered came in, but they are just too chunky for a box like this - huge barrel and too much gap between the leaves when they're closed. So I ordered different hinges that should be in in a week. One of the drawbacks (though there aren't many) to living in a small rural community. Meanwhile, the box is soaking up some skylight to move the darkening process along.

5205962a.jpg

I made some progress today with the trigger and linkage. The roughed out serpentine is temporary and needed to decide what curve and pivot placement for the real one. The trigger has less movement than the serpentine does so I had to experiment with a couple hole placement until it opens up all the way and closes all the way. The primer box door may get a separate linkage of its own. I'll cross that bridge when I get there but overall this thing looks like its going to work.

I'm really enjoying the fact i can crudely remove wood to make things work.

triggerguardandlinkage001.jpg

triggerguardandlinkage002.jpg

triggerguardandlinkage003.jpg

triggerguardandlinkage004.jpg

triggerguardandlinkage005.jpg

triggerguardandlinkage007.jpg

triggerguardandlinkage008.jpg

triggerguardandlinkage009.jpg

triggerguardandlinkage010.jpg

triggerguardandlinkage012.jpg

triggerguardandlinkage015.jpg

Ah, Bruce you are so clever. I thought, what an exposed rod linkage? What a bad idea. Then I saw the link bar and figured out you were just using a simple method to figure out the length of the link which will be inside the cover and the bend in the rod was just a length adjustment. Good thinking.

I have an old muzzle loading single shot pistol that is missing some pieces between the trigger and hammer lock. One day when I am a really grown up knife maker I will try a cut n shoot like my hero.:5:

You figured it out. The rod trick is something I learned from working on lawn mowers in my early life. The carburetors all had a governor rod with a loop or bend for length and top rpm adjustment. I wonder if they had lawn mowers in the 16th century? :)
Ah, Bruce you are so clever. I thought, what an exposed rod linkage? What a bad idea. Then I saw the link bar and figured out you were just using a simple method to figure out the length of the link which will be inside the cover and the bend in the rod was just a length adjustment. Good thinking.

I have an old muzzle loading single shot pistol that is missing some pieces between the trigger and hammer lock. One day when I am a really grown up knife maker I will try a cut n shoot like my hero.:5:

Last edited:
I decided on an internal return spring and found the natural place to put it. The advantages a coil spring is the diameter and length can be changed to tune the trigger pull when the time comes.

linkage001.jpg

linkage002.jpg

linkage003.jpg

linkage004.jpg

linkage006.jpg

linkage007.jpg

linkage008.jpg

I ran across an old "slow match" that I made several years ago. It is simply a cotton cord that was soaked in salt peter and let dry. This is the igniting material for a matchlock igntion system. Simply light the end of the cord and it glows. Its a nice hot slow burning punk-like heat source. Wow does it ever stink and smoke indoors. Anyway, I made a small pile of Pyrodex and lit it off just as the camera went off. Lucky shot and a cool picture. This really burns hot and should have no trouble traveling the 1/4" distance through the .072" hole to the main charge in the barrel.

linkage009.jpg

linkage010.jpg

Last edited:
Great timing on that pic for sure!

One thing I am not understanding, is how the lid of the powderbox will be opened. Is the lid just to keep things covered and then manually opened before firing?

Thats a good question BRad and I'm still scratching my head on this subject. The original intent is to have a light weight spring keep it closed and the dragon will open it with its face but now it looks like a linkage is more likely. It needs to stay closed until the match travel begins to prevent any sort of pre-ignition.The primer box lid isnt designed yet so it can have an extention and rod attachment to the dragon. Manual opening will take an extra hand to fire this thing. Not very convenient and not my first choice but I'm not ruling it out just yet.
Great timing on that pic for sure!

One thing I am not understanding, is how the lid of the powderbox will be opened. Is the lid just to keep things covered and then manually opened before firing?

Last edited:
My gosh!

Who is that dude in the last picture? Is that my good buddy Bruce Bump?! Pretty soon you're going to have to braid that
lock of whiskers to keep it out of the way when you grind and forge!

Say, that unit is coming right along. I can't wait to see the carved hammer mechanism :).

Dana

Hey Bro, thats me with my favorite T shirt on. Thinking about a transfer to the top of my head. hehe
Who is that dude in the last picture? Is that my good buddy Bruce Bump?! Pretty soon you're going to have to braid that
lock of whiskers to keep it out of the way when you grind and forge!

Say, that unit is coming right along. I can't wait to see the carved hammer mechanism :).

Dana

Back