Sub Hilt fund raiser WIP

100_4328_edited.jpg

100_4329_edited.jpg

100_4330_edited.jpg

100_4332_edited.jpg

100_4333_edited.jpg

100_4337.jpg

We actually had this packaged and went to the post office to send it to Paul Bos but as I was parking I remembered one hole didnt get drilled so I came home with it. Its the one between the hilts. I dont know if I want a bolt there but it needs at least a hole there for an epoxy bolt to hold those small scales on.

OKAY Mr. Bruce --- looking good ! Can't wait until I can get my gribby paws on it --- don't polish it any higher than 600 grit. I will polish it higher after I have finished the scratching............................

OKAY Mr. Bruce --- looking good ! Can't wait until I can get my gribby paws on it --- don't polish it any higher than 600 grit. I will polish it higher after I have finished the scratching............................

No problem Ken. It may be about 10 days from now.

Bruce, very good to see a pic of Mike there. Tell him Jacob from Albertson's years ago said hi,and hope his family is doing well. Great looking pics there too.

OK all the holes are drilled and its in the mail to Post Falls Idaho for the Paul Bos heat treatment. For those unfamiliar with Paul he has heat treated custom makers knives from the Buck Factory with their state of the art equipment for over 40 years. When the Buck factory moved from El Cajon California a couple years ago, Paul sold out there and moved to Post Falls with them. I've used his services ever since I started making knives in 1988 and cant remember ever having a bad blade. Each blade is rockwell tested to assure the correct hardness and that the customer has not mixed up their steels and marked them incorrectly. Please dont ask me how I know.:eek:

Notice I dont have this blade fully ground and tapered tang yet. I left it with some flats so Paul Bos can be sure it is as straight as possible on his flat plate. We can regrind the blade and taper the tang after its hardened.

Next comes a wooden replica to send off to Paul Long so he can get the sheath made while Ken is engraving the hilts and bolt heads.

100_4346_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Mike worked on the front gaurd last night and roughed it in.
Paul Bos called yesterday and already has the blade done that same afternoon and will be in the mail today.

Things are moving along well except Paypal caught wind that this is a raffle and made me sign a document that states I could lose my account with them if I continue the raffle. Because of them nobody has bought another ticket. I still need to continue selling tickets to the last day which is November 6th. Please email me if you have sent a check and you dont know if it will get here in time for the drawing, I will put your tickets in the jar so you have a chance to win. It only takes one $5 ticket to win. Many thanks to people that have went above and beyond and have purchased multiple chances to win.

We are up to around $2000 in ticket sales now but I think this knife will appraise at around $3500 - $4000 when finished so you can see we need to get the word out to your family and friends. Sales need to go on somehow. We will draw the lucky winner on November 6th so if you have a check in the mail be sure to email me so I know and can get you in the drawing.

Here is Mike working on the guard

100_4387_edited.jpg

100_4385_edited.jpg

Holy crap! You mean PayPal won't allow you to sell raffle tickets?! Pardon my French but that is complete BS.

Folks, please send money orders or checks to Bruce today. This is a wonderful cause and you may never own another knife this fine in your lifetime. If I could, I'd buy ALL the tickets for this knife.

Holy crap! You mean PayPal won't allow you to sell raffle tickets?! Pardon my French but that is complete BS.

Folks, please send money orders or checks to Bruce today. This is a wonderful cause and you may never own another knife this fine in your lifetime. If I could, I'd buy ALL the tickets for this knife.

Dave, You are now my fund raiser project manager! :running dog:

I just might sell you all my tickets for the right price mo money :p ;)

I just might sell you all my tickets for the right price mo money :p ;)

Oh man, you've no idea how tempting buying more tickets is! But my wife would absolutely stab me in my sleep if I did that, regardless how good a cause it is - she's more worried about Christmas presents than anything else. ;) Chicks... :rolleyes:

Oh man, you've no idea how tempting buying more tickets is! But my wife would absolutely stab me in my sleep if I did that, regardless how good a cause it is - she's more worried about Christmas presents than anything else. ;) Chicks... :rolleyes:

This sub hilt would be a wonderful Christmas present. You could let her hold it once in a while. :D

I'll say. :D Bruce if I won that knife it'd be hard for me to let anyone even touch it. But I'm sure I would. Eventually. :D

I talked to Paul Long and he said to send him a wooden replica of the knife so he can make the sheath while the actual knife is being engraved by Ken so here is the start of the wooden one. I promise we will take more time grinding the bevels on the real one.

100_4404_edited.jpg

100_4405_edited.jpg

100_4406_edited.jpg

Back