The Newell .45 cal front loader

That's one of them that have been tied to a tree all year and corn fed, Steve. A nice fat doe. I think I cut out the rope burns.

I put the pistol back together to handle it for a couple days to see if I can think of anything else major to do to it. I really like this gun and it feels great.

Gabe and I decided on amber stag for the grips on both pieces. I can order the stag, rough them out and send them off to be dyed while the knife and gun are at the engravers.

I need to order a pill/snuff box for the bullets, caps and patches. Also Josh says I need a 30 grain spout for my powder flask. Shes all coming together.

Oh I didnt tell anybody but I cut one inch off the bowie tip and reground it. I also reshaped the top clip.

100_5245_edited.jpg

100_5246_edited.jpg

100_5247_edited.jpg

100_5248_edited.jpg

My wife thinks I'm silly that I get so excited every time I see there's been an update to this WIP... It is really coming together beautifully, Bruce!

Looking at the gun laying there in the last pic -- that's just awesome. Everything about it works just right. I can see where you've cleaned up radii and brought the finish of all the parts together from their various pics. It's really looking fine Bruce. This is so cool. I'm dying to see the knife too.

This is an amazing thread Bruce!!!

I have been sitting back watching this come together and learning along the way and as you are getting close to the end of this project I would like to say Thank You for taking the time to share this with us. It is very much appreciated!

If I may, I have a couple of questions. On the rear bolsters on the knife, did you ream the holes and swell the pins, or do you just silver braze everything together?

I am also curious as to the thread size on the tang of the knife.

Again thank you for the time you have given us

Brian

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for directing me to your forum here. It's a treat to see the photos of this set coming together. Too bad the blade had to lose an inch of that fine Damascus...
Always a treat to stop by and see what you're up to in the shop. Congratulations on that new grandson!
Roger

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for directing me to your forum here. It's a treat to see the photos of this set coming together. Too bad the blade had to lose an inch of that fine Damascus...
Always a treat to stop by and see what you're up to in the shop. Congratulations on that new grandson!
Roger

Thanks for posting Roger. I would rather lose an inch off the blade than have you make a bigger box. :D I should have stayed to the original size, not your fault.

I had a nice set of stag crowns that match so I cut them up and rough fit them to the frame. They lost so much pattern that I had to put some back on. I realize this is Gods patterning but I but I am going to try my hand at it. The low spots will be black as a result of Culpeppers amber dyeing process so they should look natural at that time and amber in the areas that I sand off. If they dont look good we are going with ivory.

100_5251_edited.jpg

100_5252_edited.jpg

100_5253_edited.jpg

100_5255_edited.jpg

100_5256_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Texture the horn Buddy not your finger!! Sorry! When they say Blood Sweat & Tears it is the truth. This is going to be sweet!

Last edited:
There goes your chances of ever being a hand model.:eek::D2thumbs

Its dangerous work using those small dental bits. I drilled it deep enough that its swollen this morning probally from embedded stag. My hands were beautiful before this.

I cut out the spacers for the framed handle and did some work on the guard this morning. Also here is a better view of the pistol grips. I'm going to bead blast them in hopes to blend away dremel burr marks.

100_5262.jpg

100_5259_edited.jpg

100_5261_edited.jpg

100_5263_edited.jpg

100_5266_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. Your guard dog doesnt seem to care much anymore, LOL.

Looking at those modified scales I wonder if there is anything you CAN'T do? :eek:

The downside of these WIP of yours is that looking at them I always think "Ok right, that looks easy, I can do that". And of course I can't even come close.

But I still like them of course! :D

Patrice

Bruce,

I'm LOVING watching you build this framed handle !!

One question though-

What do you put on your blade prior to taping it up to prevent rust. I taped like that once for a day and got to re-handsand the blade for my efforts even though I had waxed the blade before taping.

Thanks, Josh

Looking at those modified scales I wonder if there is anything you CAN'T do? :eek:

The downside of these WIP of yours is that looking at them I always think "Ok right, that looks easy, I can do that". And of course I can't even come close.

But I still like them of course! :D

Patrice

Patrice, believe me there is plenty I cant do. I'm happy you are getting something useful here for your projects. It helps to bleed on them, really.

Back